Dis you received DISM error 50: “DISM doesn’t support servicing windows PE with the /online option“? This is because you tried to run DISM command with the /online switch from Windows PE or Windows recovery environment.
DISM /online only works when you are logged on to Windows. If you use it in a WinPE environment or Windows recovery mode, you will receive DISM error 50.
This guide walks you through the steps to get to Windows recovery. Then run the right DISM commands to repair Windows 10 or Server 2016.
Steps to Fix DISM Error 50 in Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016
Here are the steps resolve DISM error 50:
- Boot to Recovery Command Prompt
- Determine the Drive for Your Windows Installation
- Run the Correct DISM Commands, then SFC
1Boot to Windows Recovery Command Prompt
If you received DISM error 50 from Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 recovery mode, here are the steps to boot to the recovery environment:
- Boot your computer or server to recovery mode using the method described in this guide – Boot to Server 2016 recover mode. When you get to the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
- At Advanced options screen, click Command Prompt.
- When you click Command Prompt, you will be required to select a user with admin privilege. Click the user name. Then enter the password for the selected user and click Continue (See the second image below).
- You are now in Windows recovery command prompt.
2 Determine the Drive for Your Windows Installation
Now that you are in Windows recovery, the next step is to determine the drive that Windows is installed. This step is critical to resolving DISM error 50.
Here is how to determine the drive for your Windows installation:
- At command prompt, type the command below. Then press Enter.
If the drive has a Windows folder, it is likely where your Operating System is installed.
- If drive C: does not have a Windows folder, try DIR d:, then DIR E: until you determine where your OS is installed.
3 Run the Correct DISM Commands, then SFC
- When you have determined the drive your Operating System is installed, to fix DISM error 50, type the command below. Then press enter.
DISM /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions
Notice the difference between the above command and your previous command? In the command that returned DISM error 50, you used /Online. But the command above used the /Image switch.
Using /Image instead of /Online is the actual fix for error 50. The /RevertPendingActions switch is used to fix Windows if it won’t boot after Windows update.
If you have other Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 boot problems, use this command next. Wait for the last command to complete. Then type the command below and press enter.
DISM.exe /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Depending on the problem your Computer or Server is having, you may also run the System File Checker command below to fix some problems:
DISM error 50 is fixed by using DISM.exe /Image instead of DISM.exe /Online switch.
At iTechGuides.com we love to hear from you. Kindly let us know whether you were able to fix the error with this guide. Use the “Leave a Reply” form at the end of this guide.
Want more Windows 10 fixes? Visit our Windows 10 Fix page.