This guide demos how to install Active Directory in Server 2016. It also covers how to promote the server to a domain controller.
The steps in this guide demos how to add a Domain Controller to an exiting domain.
Steps to Install Active Directory in Server 2016
- Login to the server you want to install Active Directory. Then open Server Manager.
- From Server Manager, click Manage and select Add roles and Features.
- At Before you begin screen, click Next.
- When you get to Select installation type screen, select Role-based or feature-based installation. Then click Next.
- At the Select destination server screen, select the server you want to install Active Directory. Then click Next.
- When the Select server roles screen opens, check the box beside Active Directory Domain Services. You will receive a prompt to Add features that are required for Active Directory Domain Services. Click Add Features.
- When you return to Select server roles click Next.
- Then at Select Features screen, click Next.
- Read the information provided about AD DS. Then click Next.
- Then, at the Confirmation screen, review your selections and click Install.
- When the installation is completed, click Close.
You can also install Active Directory in Server 2016 with the PowerShell command below
Install-windowsfeature -name AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools
Promote the Server to a Domain Controller
After you install Active Directory in Server 2016, the next step is to promote the server to a Domain Controller. You can either create a new domain or add the DC to an existing domain.
This guide covers how to add a DC to an existing domain.
- How to Change Active Directory Tombstone Lifetime Attribute
- How to Restore Active Directory from Backup
Here are the steps:
- From Server Manager, click the amber notification triangle. Then click Promote this server to a domain controller.
- At the Deployment Configuration screen, select a deployment operation. To create a new domain, select the last option – Add a new forest. If you are adding a DC to an existing domain, select the first option – Add a domain controller to an existing domain.
- If you select Add a domain controller to an existing domain you will be required to provide the domain. Beside Domain field, click Select. Then enter your domain credentials in the format shown below. Then click OK.
- The wizard will list all available domains in the forest. Select the domain you want to add the DC to and click OK.
- The Domain and credentials fields will be be automatically populated. Confirm that the information is correct. Then click Next.
- At the Domain Controller Operations screen, select the roles you want the DC to perform. Then enter the DSRM password and click Next.
- If you receive this warning about DNS, ignore it and click Next.
- Because you are adding this DC to an existing Domain, the new DC will need to replicate existing AD data from an existing DC. To replicate from a specific DC, click the Replicate from drop-down, select a DC and click Next.
- Then choose the path to AD DS database, log files and SYSVOL. Click Next.
- Finally, review your options and click Next.
- And if the Prerequisite Check passes, click Install.
- When the server is promoted to a DC, it may restart.
It is this easy to install Active Directory in Server 2016! I hope I made your day!
If you have any questions, kindly post them at Itechguides Community. Our team and other community members will respond to your questions or comments as soon as possible.
For more Windows guides visit our Windows Server How To page.
If you are migrating existing DCs to Server 2016, Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2016 may be helpful.
To ask a question or comment about this article, visit the article's topic at Itechguides Community