This Itechguide teaches you how to sort in Google Sheets. The guide offers steps to sort on Google Sheets from the Android/iPhone App or from a PC.
1How to Sort in Google Sheets (from a PC)
- Open Sheets.Google.com from your PC and login with your Google Account.
- Then open the Google Sheets document you want to sort. To open an existing document click File then select Open. Navigate to the Google Drive location you saved the document and open it.
- To sort a data in the document, click the column header to select all the columns. In this example, to select Column A, I clicked on the top of the column.
- Once the data you want to sort is selected, click the Data tab. Then for quick sorting, select any of the highlighted options – Sort sheet by Column A, A – Z, Sort sheet by Column A, Z – A …. For more refined sorting see below…
- Alternatively, to modify the sorting click Sort range.
- This gives you more control over how you want to sort the data. As an example you can check the Data has a header row box – if there is a header. You could also Add another sort column – if you have more columns. Finally, you could sort by A – Z or Z – A. When you finish modifying your sorting criteria, click Sort.
2How to Sort in Google Sheets (from Android App)
- Open Google Sheets for Android App.
- Then open the Google Sheets document with the data you want to sort. If you opened the document recently, you will find it beneath Last opened by me.
- Alternatively, you could open the document from Google Drive. To access Google Drive, click the folder icon on the top right of Google Sheets App. Then select Google Drive.
- Click the column you want to sort. Then click it again to display a menu.
- To display another menu, click the 3 dots in the first menu. From the second menu, to sort in Google Sheets, select your sort option – Sort A – Z or Sort Z – A (See the second image below)
3How to Sort in Google Sheets (from iPhone App)
- Open the iPhone App on your iPhone.
- Then open the document with the data you want to sort. You could open the document from beneath Last opened by me or from Google Drive. To access Google Drive, click the folder icon on the top right of the App.
- Once you open the document, click the column with the data you want to sort. Then click it again to display a menu.
- To display sort options click the arrow beside Cut Copy AutoFill menu 5 times until Sort A – Z and Sort Z – A menu is displayed (See the second image below). To sort in Google Sheets, click one of the sort options.
It is this easy to sort in Google Sheets! I hope you found the guide useful and easy to follow.
Have a question, comment or feedback? Use the “Leave a Reply” form found at the end of this page.
If you enjoyed this Itechguide and want to read more of our Google guides, visit our Google How To page.