This guide demos how to delete Hotmail account. Hotmail.com has been replaced by Outlook.com.
Though the guide is about how to delete Hotmail account, the steps details how to delete an Outlook.com account.
If you delete your Hotmail account all your email and contacts will be deleted from the Microsoft server and can’t be recovered. Also, you won’t be able to access Microsoft services like Xbox, Skype, and OneDrive using the account.
Steps to Delete Hotmail Account
There are two steps to to permanently delete Hotmail account:
- Sign in to Hotmail (Outlook.com) Account
- Close Hotmail Account
Here are the step-by-step guide to delete a Hotmail account:
1Sign in to Your Hotmail (Outlook.com) Account
- Open Live.com (link opens in a new browser tab)
- Then at the top right of the page, click Sign in.
- At the sign in page, enter your Hotmail (outlook.com) email address. Then click Next.
- Type your Hotmail email password and click Sign in.
2Delete Hotmail Account
Once you are signed in to your Hotmail account, follow the steps below to permanently close the account:
- Open Close your Outlook.com account link. Then scroll down and click the Close Account button (See the image below).
- A sign in page will open on a new browser. Enter the password to your Hotmail (Outlook.com) email and click Sign in.
- Microsoft will then send a code to your alternate email address or phone number. To receive the code click the verification method. In my example, I will click Email…
- You will be required to enter the full alternate email address or phone number. Enter it in the field. Then click Send Code.
- Enter the code you received from your alternate email or phone number. Then click Verify.
- On the confirmation page, read the relevant information. When you are sure you want to delete Hotmail Account, click Next (beneath the page).
- Finally, check all the boxes on the last page. Then on the Still want to close this account? drop-down, select a reason and click Mark account for closure.
Closing your Hotmail account is an irreversible action. Once deleted you cannot recover it (except within the 60 day recoverable period). So, it is important to be ensure you really want to close the account.
If you found this guide useful kindly share your feedback using the “Leave a Reply” form. The form is just below this page.
For more guides like this visit our How To page.