This guide demos how to create a pie chart in Excel and Google Sheets. A pie chart is a circular representation of a data set in portions.
In other words, a pie chart shows portions of a whole set of data in a circular form.
How to Create a Pie Chart in Excel
To create a pie chart in Excel you need a set of data. Here is the data I will use for my demo in this guide.
The excel sheet is a monthly sales data for an online retailer.
Here are the steps to create a pie chart in Excel with this data.
- Highlight all the data including its headers.
- Then with the data selected, click Insert tab.
- When you click Insert, it will display a set of options. One of them is Charts group (highlighted in the image below).
- In the Charts group, click on Pie chart icon (highlighted in the image below)
- Then select Pie (first option), Pie of pie (second option) or bar of pie (third option). When you hover over a pie chart type, Excel will display the image of the pie chart beneath.
- Once you select a pie chart type, the chart will display on the data. Move the pie chart away from the data.
How to Create a Pie Chart in Google Sheets
Just like excel you can also create a Pie chart in Google Sheets.
I will use the data in the Google Sheets shown below to demo how to create pie chart in Google Sheets.
Here are the detailed steps to create a pie chart in Google Sheets:
- Highlight all the data including the headers.
- Then click Insert tab and click Chart.
- When you click Chart, Google Sheets will select Line chart by default. To change the chart type to Pie chart, click the drop-down arrow beside Line chart (see the image below). Then select Pie chart.
- If you wish to customize the chart, click the Customize tab (see the image below).
- Finally, click the x sign on top of the chart insert tool to close it.
- Then move your pie chart away from your data. You may also resize your chart…
I hope you found this guide useful.
If you have a question, comment or feedback use the “Leave a Reply” form found at the end of this page.
For more Windows guides visit our Windows How To page.