This guide demos how to install Windows 10 from network boot.
The steps discussed in this guide is for Windows admins. If you are a home user, use the steps in How to Install Windows 10 from USB.
Steps to Install Windows 10 from Network
There are two high-level steps in this guide:
- Install and Configure Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Server
- Install Windows 10 from Network Boot (Via WDS)
1Install and Configure Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Server
Before you can install Windows 10 from Network boot, you need a server with Windows 10 image. One way to make this available is to install and Configure a WDS Server.
For steps to complete this task, read How to Setup Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2016.
2Install Windows 10 from Network Boot (Via WDS)
Here are the steps to install Windows 10 from network:
- Boot your PC to BIOS and modify the boot sequence to boot from Network first. Save your changes and restart your PC.
- Depending on how the WDS server is configured, you will either receive this prompt – press Enter for network boot. Or the PC will boot straight to PXE. If you receive the prompt, click Enter.
- Your computer will initiate Windows 10 install via Windows Deployment Services. Confirm that the Locale and Keyboard layouts are correct. Then click Next.
- You will then be promoted to provide credentials to logon to the WDS Server. Enter the credentials in the DomainName\UserName format. Then type your password and click OK.
- If your credentials are correct, you will receive the option to select an Operating System to install. This is the list of the WDS install images configured on the Install Image node. Select one and click Next.
- To install windows 10 from network, select a hard drive to install Windows. Then click Next.
- The installation will start. Wait for Windows 10 setup to complete this phase.
- When setup completes this installation phase, your PC will restart.
- Then it will initiate the next install phase. The installer will stay on the Getting Ready screen for some time (See the second image below)..
- When the screen below loads, confirm the options are okay. Then click Next.
- If you receive this message, click Next.
- From this point, the installation is very straightforward.
I hope this guide was helpful. If you have a question or comment, use the “Leave a Reply” form found at the end of this guide.
For more Windows guides visit our Windows How To page.