You may receive “we can’t sign into your account” error after upgrading to Windows 10. If this occurs after an upgrade, a duplicate copy of your profile may have been created.
Error “we can’t sign into your account” error may also occur randomly. In this instance it may just be a profile corruption. Or in a worst case scenario, your operating system may have some problems.
The fix for “we can’t sign into your account” error will depend on the situation. In this guide I offer two methods to fix this error depending on the situation.
How to Fix “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” Error After Upgrading to Windows 10
For this method you will log on to the computer using another account with admin permission. If you know the password to the built-in Administrator account you can use it for the steps in this method.
Here are the steps:
- Login to your computer using another account with admin privilege.
- Then press Windows + R (Windows logo and R key simultaneously). The Run command will open.
- At the Run command, type regedit. Then click OK to open Windows registry editor.
- On the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. If there is a profile starting with S-1-5 and ending with .bak, it is likely the problem.
- To fix “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” error, right-click the profile name that ends with .bak. Then select Rename. Delete the .bak part of the name.
- Login with the account that had the problem to see whether the error is fixed.
How to Fix “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” Error that Occurred Randomly
If you receive this error message “out of the blues”, use the steps below to fix the error:
- Login with another account.
- Check that you still have enough space on drive C or the drive where users profiles are stored. In Windows 10, it is usually stored in C:\users\. If you run out of space, Windows may not be able to load your profile.
- If you are out of disk space, delete some files to free up space. Then try logging in again to see if “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” error is fixed.
If the last step does not fix the problem, try these steps:
- Search command prompt. Then right-click it and select Run as Administrator.
- At Command Prompt, enter the command below. Then press Enter.
- Wait for the command to complete. Then enter the DISM command below and press Enter.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
To learn more about this command click DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth Explained. You could also learn more about DISM.
- When both commands complete successfully, restart the computer. Then login with the account that gave “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” Error.
I hope you have been able to fix “We Can’t Sign into Your Account” error with one of the suggested fixes.
Other readers may also benefit from your feedback. To leave a feedback or ask ask a question use the “Leave a Reply” form at the end of this page.