If you buy a product via some of the links in this post, as an Amazon Associate Itechguides.com earn from qualifying purchases.
You can set homepage in Edge (Microsoft Edge) directly from Settings. This method is suitable for individual or home users.
However, Windows administrators can set homepage in Edge using Group Policy. This is an easy way to set homepage in Edge for thousands of computers joined to an Active Directory Domain.
What makes the group policy method more exciting is that you can even decide whether your users can modify the homepage or not.
Options to Set Homepage in Microsoft Edge
This guide demos how to set homepage in Edge from Edge settings and with Group Policy.
Set Homepage in Microsoft Edge from Edge Settings
Here are the steps
- Open Microsoft Edge. Then click 3 dots on the top right of the page.
- Next, click Settings.
- Beneath Open Microsoft Edge with, click on the drop-down (Should be set to Start page by default).
- Then select A specific page or pages.
- When you select A specific page or pages you will have the option to enter a page or pages. Type the website you wish to use as homepage. Then either press enter or click the save button (highlighted in the smaller box below).
- To add a new page, click add new page. Type the page then click save or enter.
- To remove a page, click the x beside the page.
- Finally, close and reopen Microsoft Edge. My homepage are now set to Google.com and Bing.com!
Set Homepage in Microsoft Edge with Group Policy
The steps in this section is intended for Windows administrators. If you are a home or individual user, use the steps here – Set Homepage in Edge from Settings.
This is a 3-step process:
- Create a new GOP
- Link GPO to a Container
- Edit the GPO to set homepage in Edge
Create a new GOP
- Login to Windows Sever 2016. Then open Server Manager.
- From Server Manager, click Tools. Then select Group Policy Management.
- From Group Policy Management, expand Domains. Then expand your domain name.
To create a new GPO:
- Expand Group Policy Objects.
- Next, drag the GPO you wish to use to create a new one into Group Policy Objects container. In this example, I will drag Default Domain Policy to the Group Policy Objects container.
- To copy the GPO, select one of the options and click OK. If you are not sure, select Use the default permissions for new GPOs. When the copy is complete, click OK. A copy of the GPO is created. See the second image below.
- To rename the copied GPO, right-click it.Then select Rename. Give the GPO a descriptive name. See mine below.
Link GPO to an Active Directory Container
The next step is to link the new GPO to an AD container. In this example, I will apply the GPO to the root of this domain.
- Drag the GPO to the container you wish to link it to. When you drag the GPO to the container you will be asked to confirm. Click OK.
- The GPO will now appear beneath the container (in this instance, the root of the domain).
Edit the GPO to Set Homepage in Edge
This is the last step to set homepage in Microsoft Edge with Group Policy.
Here are the steps:
- Right-click the new GPO. Then select Edit.
- When the GPO opens for editing, navigate to:
Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge
- To order the policy settings alphabetically, click Setting.
- Next, locate and double-click Configure open Microsoft Edge With..
- When the policy opens, click Enabled. Then from the Configure open Microsoft Edge With drop-down, select an option.
- To set homepage in Edge to open a website, select A specific page or pages (default). Then, to save the configuration changes click OK. The setting is now Enabled (see the second image below).
- Next step: locate the policy Configure Starter pages. Double-click to open it.
- Click Enable. Then beneath the Options: enter the websites in the format <itechguides.com><Google.com>. When you finish click OK. The policy is now Enabled as well.
However, users will NOT be allowed to change the homepage. If you wish to allow users to Set Homepage in Microsoft Edge from Settings and override the GPO, you need to enable one more setting – Disable lockdown of start pages.
- When you open Disable lockdown of start pages for editing, click Enabled. Then click OK.
After these configurations have been enabled, if you open Microsoft Edge in a computer in the container the GPO is linked, the homepage will be set to the pages in the GPO.
To force the computer to apply the GPO immediately, open command prompt. Then type the command below and press enter.
To set homepage in Edge use one of these methods. As I said in the introduction, the first method is for home or individual users while the second method is for Administrators.
Have any questions or comment? Use the “Leave a Reply” form at the end of this page.
Want more Windows 10 Fixes? Visit our Windows 10 Fix page.