Inserting bullet points in excel is not as straightforward as adding bullet points in Word. This guide demonstrates 4 easy ways you can insert bullet points in excel.
Below are the methods for Inserting bullet points in excel discussed in this guide:
- Insert Bullet Points in Excel from the Symbol Menu
- Add Bullet Points in Excel Using Keyboard shortcuts
- By Copying Bullet Points from Word or a Web page
- Using Excel Formula
Method 1: Insert Bullet Points in Excel From the Symbols Menu
To add bullet point using this method, follow the steps below:
- Open Excel and click the cell you wish to insert bullet points. Then click the Insert tab.
- Next, click the drop-down below Symbols menu and select Symbol.
- When the Symbol options opens, from the Subset drop-down, select General Punctuation. Then click on the bullet point you want to use and click Insert. To close the Symbols options, click Close (See the second image below).
- To copy the bullet point to other cells, click on the cell containing it. Then move your mouse towards the button right of the cell. When the white + sign turns to black, drag the cell to other cells below it. The bullet points will copy to other cells. See the second image below.
Method 2: Insert Bullet Points in Excel Using Keyboard shortcuts
To insert a solid bullet point, press the following keyboard combination
Alt + 7
Alt + 0149
This will insert a bullet point similar to the one in the image below:
To insert non-solid bullet point, use this keyboard combination
Alt + 9
Here is the bullet point the above keyboard combination inserts.
How to Use On-screen Keyboard for Excel Shortcuts
If your laptop does not have numeric keypad, use on-screen keyboard. On Windows 10, you can enable on-screen keyboard from Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard. Then click the On button below Use on-screen keyboard.
On-screen keyboard will load.
To enable numeric keypad, click Options. Then check Turn on numeric key pad and click Ok.
Numeric keyboard now available in your on-screen keyboard.
Method 3: Insert Bullet Points in Excel By Copying Bullet Points from Word or a Web page
Another easy way to insert a bullet point in Excel is to copy the bullet point from Word or a web page then paste it in Excel.
Here are the steps:
- Insert the bullet point you want to copy in Microsoft Word. Select the bullet point and copy it with either Ctrl + C or right-click and copy.
- Then paste it in Excel.
Method 4: Insert Bullet Points in Excel Using Excel Formula
In the last section of this guide I will discuss how to insert bullet points using formula. The CHAR function is used to insert bullet points and other special characters.
Syntax of the CHAR function
Number is a number between 1 and 255. Each number will insert a special symbol in Excel.
To create a solid bullet list, use this formula:
If you have a list of words in excel and wish to create a bullet list with those words, use the formula:
C3 is the cell containing the word.
To include all the words in column C, drag the formula from B3 down.
In this guide I discussed 4 ways you can insert bullet points in Excel. I hope you were able to use of them. If you have any question or comment use the “Leave a Reply” form at the end of the page.
Alternatively, you could share your experience making Excel bullet points so other readers can benefit from it.
Other Helpful Guides
- How to Alphabetize (Sort Lists or Tables) in Microsoft Word
- Absolute Reference vs Relative Reference Excel: Quick Guide