Have you heard about the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (now known as Amazon Kids+) for kids? To learn about this Amazon service, here is a detailed guide that will educate you.
I will begin this tech guide with a comprehensive overview of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited. In addition to that, I will then provide a clear explanation of how it works.
Furthermore, I will discuss its features, pros, and cons. Finally, I will then offers answers to some frequently asked question in my FAQ section.
Hence, at the end of this guide, you will know all that Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is about.
In recent years, the world has advanced into a global village. Due to these advancements, the use of technology is not limited to a particular age or place.
- Why Does My Firestick Keep Restarting
- Amazon Prime Demystified: Does it Offer the Best Captivating Deal?
As a result, kids and young adults are exposed to a lot of technical gadgets and content. Most times, these contents might not be sorted according to age or type.
Thus, it is important that you manage the kind of content your kids see online. In this regard, Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is a perfect example of an ideal internet service that enables you to manage what your kids watch.
Notably, Amazon Kids+ is a subscription service that offers limitless access to thousands of kids’ TV shows and books. Furthermore, it also features educational apps, movies, and games for kids.
Besides, Amazon FreeTime comes with a parent dashboard. This parent dashboard gives you the ability to decide what is available to your kids.
Moreover, with the parental dashboard, you can monitor your child’s activities, set daily time limits, and manage other settings. In addition to those, you can also modify your child’s device browser behavior, pause the device and perform other control and monitoring activities.
How Does Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+) Work?
From the overview section above, I believe you now have an insight as to what Amazon FreeTime is about. So, in this section, I will walk you through how it works.
Come along with me!
To access the Amazon Kids+, you need to have a paid subscription. Thankfully, it is affordable and quite easy to configure.
Speaking of which, for Amazon Prime members, the Amazon FreeTime unlimited single child monthly plan costs just $2.99*. Besides, for non-prime users, the FreeTime single child monthly plan costs $4.99*.
That said, this subscription allows you access to unlimited content for kids like ebooks, videos, and games. Moreover, you can access the content via Amazon compatible devices like iOS, Android, Mac, or PC.
Once you’ve subscribed, you then open the service on your device and carry out the necessary settings. These settings include setting up a profile for your child so that when new contents are available, you’ll receive a notification.
Moreover, I mentioned in the overview section that Amazon Kids+ has a parental dashboard. This is where you configure the settings I mentioned above.
In addition to that, the parental dashboard also enables you to monitor and control the content and activities of your child.
That said, continue reading as I proceed to discuss features of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited in the section below.
Features of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+)
Contents are Available by Age Range
The first feature of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is that it organizes content by age for easy access. To be exact, it divides content by ages 3 to 5, 6 to 8, and 9 to 12.
This gives parents the option to customize their child’s experience with the most relevant content – books, educational apps, TV shows, and more.
Another feature of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is its multi-device support. You can access unlimited content from the following compatible devices:
- Fire tablets give kids access to more than 20,000 videos, books, and popular kids’ favorite channels like Disney, Nickelodeon, and more.
This also comes with parental control, like setting screen-time limits, and managing what your kids watch. You may also purchase a Fire Kids Edition Tablet which includes one year of FreeTime Unlimited and other features.
- Fire TV, Echo, and Kindle are also supported. Your kids can access unlimited kids’ content on compatible Fire TV Sticks with parental controls – age filters, time limits, and more.
Kids can also access hundreds of hours of the available content on Amazon Echo.
Moreover, kids can also access FreeTime from Amazon Kindle. Notably, some Kindle devices come with a one-year free pass.
- Android, iOS, and Chrome OS – You can also access Amazon FreeTime Unlimited content from iOS, Chrome OS, and Android devices. Precisely, Kids can access over 10,000 educational kids’ content from these 3 device types.
Parental Control Via Parent Dashboard
Amazon Kids+ generally supports parental control via Parent Dashboard. This parent dashboard offers parents complete control and access to everything the Amazon FreeTime delivers to their kids.
As a result, as a parent, you can monitor and control what your kids watch. I, personally consider this as one of the major and most important features of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
Amazon Kids+ Offers Kids Premium Skills
In addition to the fun activities Amazon Kids+ offers kids, it also comes with premium skills like how to create their own songs. Notably, this premium skill gives kids the chance to mix and deliver songs from any music genre of their choice.
However, for this to work the device you intend to use must support a google voice assistant or Amazon voice assistant. That way, your kids can receive instructions on how to go about any skill set of their choice.
Flexible Monthly Subscription with Anytime Cancellation Option
Finally, Amazon FreeTime Unlimited offers flexible subscription plans. As mentioned earlier, for a single child, Amazon Prime members pay $2.99 per month.
Meanwhile, non-Prime members pay $4.99 monthly. However, for a family purchasing for up to 4 kids, it costs $6.99/month and $9.99/month for Prime and non-Prime members respectively.
Moreover, families purchasing for up to 4 kids can also purchase 1-year pre-paid plans. The one-year pre-paid plan is $99/year for non-Prime members and $69/year for Prime members.
Pros and Cons of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+)
Pros of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+)
- It is affordable. The Amazon FreeTime Unlimited does not cost much. It is designed such that most parents can afford it for their kids.
Be it a single child or an entire family, you don’t need to break the bank to subscribe.
- It offers unlimited access to a wide variety of kids’ content. The contents that Amazon FreeTime Unlimited offer is so much that you will hardly run out of them.
From games, educational apps, movies, and so many others the content keeps increasing every time there is a new release.
- The contents are easy to access and understand. Accessibility is quite easy and precise with the Amazon Kids+.
Besides, you can configure your child’s profile such that you will be notified when new contents are available.
- Amazon FreeTime Unlimited works offline. As a result, you can download a good number of the content to use on a road trip, vacation, or on a plane.
Moreover, this is very useful when you want to watch some videos or TV shows without the interruption of commercials and adverts.
- Amazon FreeTime Unlimited allows multiple simultaneous viewing. With the family plan that registers up to four kids, they can all use the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited at the same time on different devices. However, this is only applicable to users with the family plan.
Cons of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+)
- Ongoing Monthly Fee. To continue enjoying the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, a monthly fee will be deducted for as long as the subscription is on.
At the initial stage, this might not really take a toll on your expenditures as a parent. However, in the long run, it may.
- No app Removal. Sadly there is no way to completely remove apps from Amazon FreeTime unlimited. Moreover, you can uninstall an app, but your child can easily reactivate it from the FreeTime library at any time.
So, if you do not want your child playing a particular game or video, you can only monitor them via the parent dashboard. You can do this by setting a timer such that the app closes within your set time limit.
- Compulsory routine checks and cleanups. With so many games running and videos running on Amazon Kids+, more storage will be used up. Also, there is every tendency that you will eventually run out of storage spaces.
So, to manage this situation it becomes necessary that you delete downloaded apps that your child no longer watches. This can be burdensome as you probably do not have time to carry out these routine cleanups.
- Apps Crash, and freeze. With so many apps running, Amazon FreeTime Unlimited keeps the videos cached in the background. Sometimes, these videos could be single or several at once.
As a result, the app might end up freezing or crashing due to excessive videos stored in the background. If this happens, you can recover from the freeze by restarting the device.
- A limited number of users. For Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, the number of users is limited to your subscription plan. If you decide to go for a single child monthly plan, only one child can use the service.
Furthermore, if you decide to go for the family monthly plan that registers up to four kids, only four of them can use FreeTime Unlimited (Kids+).
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you cannot uninstall the FreeTime App.
Follow these steps to unsubscribe from FreeTime:
1. Open Amazon.com/parentdashboard and log in with your Amazon account
2. From the “Parent Settings” screen of your dashboard, tap “Manage Content & Subscription”.
3. Then, enter your parental controls password, and tap OK.
4. Finally, Under the “Manage Subscription Content” section, tap “Unsubscribe from Amazon FreeTime Unlimited”.
If you are an Amazon Prime member, FreeTime will cost you $2.99 per month for one child. For non-Prime members, it costs $4.99 monthly, per child.
However, if you subscribe for up to 4 kids, it costs $6.99 monthly for Prime members and $9.99 per month for non-Prime members.
Finally, if you are subscribing for up to 4 kids, there is an annual plan that costs $69 per year for Prime members or $99 per year for non-Prime members.
There could be 2 reasons why you get charged for FreeTime.
1. You signed up for the FreeTime 1-month free trial.
Then, you forgot to cancel the trial subscription before the free trial period ran out. When the trial period ran out, you were charged.
2. Another reason you may have been charged is that you purchased a Kids tablet with a 1-year free subscription included.
Then, when the 1-year free subscription was completed, you forgot to cancel the subscription and were charged.
To cancel your FreeTime subscription, follow the steps outlined in question 2 above.
It is a monthly or annual subscription service that offers unlimited access to thousands of kids’ TV shows, books, educational apps, movies, and games.
The subscription starts from $2.99 per month for 1 child.
When you cancel an Amazon FreeTime Unlimited pre-paid subscription, you will not receive any refund for any unused months. Notably, this is as simple as its gets.
Besides, canceling the subscription means you are no longer interested in the services they offer.
Absolutely. You can use Amazon FreeTime on any amazon compatible device. These devices include androids, iOS, PCs, and more.
Besides, the PC could be a laptop or desktop.
To restrict YouTube content on your Amazon FreeTime is easy. Simply;
1. Select Web Settings within the Amazon FreeTime app
2. Click on “Limit Web Content”, then type in YouTube URL and any other address that you would like to restrict.
Like every other subscription, when Amazon FreeTime Unlimited expires, content from your subscription will no longer be available or accessible. However, you can access those contents that you bought and saved on your kid’s profile.
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is not free for Amazon Prime members. However, Amazon FreeTime offers a slash in the price for prime members.
For example, the price of FreeTime for Prime members starts at $2.99 for a single child in a month. Meanwhile, the price for non-Prime members starts at $4.99 for a single child in a month.
This slash-down in price is the major benefit Prime users have over non-Prime users.
My Final Thoughts
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Kids+) is a subscription that provides absolute access to thousands of kid-friendly shows, games, movies, and books. Not just that, it also offers premium skills for kids and educational apps that can improve your kid’s intellect.
Moreover, this service can be accessed using Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers, and various Android and iOS devices. To make things even better, the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is budget-friendly and easy to use.
However, it also comes with certain flaws like no app removal and routine cleanups. Nevertheless, the good outweighs the bad with Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
Thus, if all you need is a trustworthy subscription service to help manage your kid’s content needs, I will suggest you consider Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
I hope this Itechguide successfully explained Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Amazon Kids+)?
References and Further Reading
- momskoop.com – Amazon FreeTime Unlimited – Review
- businessinsider.com – How to use Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
- gottabemobile.com – Amazon FreeTime Unlimited: 8 Things to Know in 2020
- businessinsider.com – Everything you need to know about Amazon FreeTime unlimited kid-friendly content
- androidauthority.com – Everything you need to know about Amazon FreeTime Unlimited (Kids+)
- Itechguides Community