This guide demos how to configure Gmail auto reply messages. The guide is not about setting up out of office but about Gmail auto reply. That is, auto sending a specified message to people that send emails to your Gmail.
If you are looking to set up out of office on Gmail, read this guide – Set Out of Office Auto Reply in Gmail.
But if you want to send an automatic message to people that send emails to your Gmail email, continue reading…
Steps to Setup Gmail Auto Reply Messages
Auto reply emails are normally used in support centers where emails may take some time to get to. It may also be used to auto send coupons to your customers.
If you use Gmail you can create Gmail auto reply to send automatic reply message to people that send emails to you.
Here are the high-level steps to configure Gmail Auto Reply:
- Enable Template in Advanced Settings
- Create a message Template
- Create an auto reply rule (filter)
1Enable Template in Advanced Settings
The first task to get Gmail to automatically reply to email messages is to enable Templates.
Here are the steps:
- Log in to Gmail and click the gear on the top right corner of Gmail. Then click Settings.
- When Gmail Settings opens, click Advanced.
- At Advanced settings, scroll down to Templates and click Enabled.
- Finally, towards the bottom of Advanced Settings page, click Save Changes.
2Create a Gmail Auto Reply Message Template
After enabling Templates, create a message template with the following steps:
- Click Compose to create a new Gmail email..
- At the email body, type your auto reply email message.
- Then at the bottom of the new message, click the 3 dots (More options). Point to Templates -> Save draft as template -> Save as new template (see the second image below).
- Give the new template a name. Then click Save.
- Finally, close the new email message.
3Create a Gmail Auto Reply Rule (Gmail Filter)
This is the last step to configure Gmail to auto reply emails – create a rule that will auto send the emails using the template you created in the last section.
Here are the steps:
- Click the gear on the top right corner of Gmail. Then click Settings.
- At Settings screen click Filters and blocked addresses tab.
- Then click Create a new filter.
- On the New Filter, add at least one search criteria. Then click Create filter.
- On When a message arrives that matches this search:, check the box Send template. Then click the Choose template drop-down and select the template you created earlier (see the second image below).
- When you finish, look towards the bottom and click Create filter.
- When you return to Filters and blocked addresses the new filter rule will be listed beneath The following filters are applied to all incoming emails…
You have just setup Gmail auto reply! If you receive an email that meet the criteria, Gmail will auto reply with the email you created in the template.
Here is the auto reply email I received when I sent a test email to my Gmail address.
We love to read your feedback. If you have a question, comment or feedback use the “Leave a Reply” form found at the end of this page.
For more guides like this one, visit our How To page.